Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Dad's Perspective on the New Year!


I can hear you all the way on this end of the internet line. "He hasn't written since the blog was started! I didn't even know he was still around?" Mara has been doing such a wonderful job expressing our emotions as we wait for Eli and explaining the process that I thought I would focus on other things. Important things like buying "Boy Toys" for Eli. :) We each have our own kind of therapy while we wait... Mara writes and I purchase things. Nothing wrong with a little "retail therapy" for my boy. (Although to be completely honest...I never pay retail.)
I am thrilled that Eli's arrival is coming so soon. The stereotype is that most men want to postpone the responsibilities of being a father until they are at least in their 60's. Or in Tony Randall's case, his 70's. But I feel my whole life has been preparation for fatherhood and husbandry. I love Mara so much and can't wait to expand our family with this precious little boy.
Mara and I had a rare opportunity to celebrate our wedding anniversary this year at "The Greenbrier" thanks to my very generous in-laws. (I have always hated the term "in-laws". Bob and Mikkey are more like my second parents and good friends.) Mara and I had four wonderful days of pampering with much time to relax and reflect about our seven years of marriage together and what the future holds for us. If we were at home, we would have instead filled our time with endless preparations. (i.e. cleaning, organizing, etc.) Although those things are both necessary and valued, it was great to just spend four days enjoying each other's company.
I came away from the holiday, feeling very, very blessed. (That word is so overused today, but I mean it in the sincerest of uses.) I have met my soulmate, we both have wonderful families and friends, we live in one of the most beautiful states in the nation, we both have job security, make an honest living, and affect the lives of others in a positive way through teaching. Now as if this life was not sweet enough, we get to add the biggest of all cherries to the top of our cake, Eli.
2008 holds many new adventures for "The Morgan Family". Some will be difficult as with all new things, some will be frustrating, and some will be tiring. Luckily, Mara and I waited until we were old enough to realize the daily challenges of parenthood. However, every new adventure will build our character, will develop our skills as parents, and will mature our relationship as man and wife. Each new day will build our love for each other and for our son. One of my own favorite lessons about life is from the movie, "Parenthood". This scene redefined my outlook on life. Below is the script of that scene.

[Gil (dad) has been complaining about his complicated life; Grandma wanders into the room] Grandma: You know, when I was nineteen, Grandpa took me on a roller coaster.
Gil: Oh?
Grandma: Up, down, up, down. Oh, what a ride!
Gil: (sarcastically) What a great story.
Grandma: I always wanted to go again. You know, it was just so interesting to me that a ride could make me so frightened, so scared, so sick, so excited, and so thrilled all together! Some didn't like it. They went on the merry-go-round. That just goes around. Nothing. I like the roller coaster. You get more out of it.

Need I say more?? Have a wonderful year to come and enjoy the ride!

No comments: