Saturday, July 7, 2007

Mara Looks Back


WOW! He's good....Randy pretty much nailed everything. It's been a long road and we still have a long way to go. Last night, we found out that the wait time has been extended to 21 months. It takes your breath away when you realize that when we began this journey, (officially on May 9th, 2006), the wait time was 13-14 months. When I look back at the journal that I am writing to our little girl, I even mentioned that maybe we will meet in February 2007. HA! Guess I was a little off. It does make me wonder how much higher that 21 month wait will climb...I always thought this would be the last summer before the fun really begins!

I know that there is a master plan and that I just need to have faith and patience. Sometimes it's easy, other times it's hard. This has been a hard month for me. It was easy to push away the long wait times while I was at school, but now that summer has begun and my schedule and mind are free, it's torture!

So, I channel my energy in other ways. I am taking 2 courses this summer, just for the fun of it. Now that I have completed my Master's Degree, the idea of taking another course should seem crazy, but I can't wait! I have been reading tons....Somehow it feels therapeutic to be immersed in anything Asian and related to adoption. Here are some of my latest reads:

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See
The Bonesetter's Daughter by Amy Tan
Mao's Last Dancer by Li Cunxin (thank you Shelly!)
The Teahouse Fire by Ellis Avery (I only enjoyed the 1st half)
From China with Love by Emily Buchanan
A Passage to the Heart-writings from families with children from China by Amy Klatzkin Wanting a Daughter, Needing a Son by Kay Ann Johnson

Lauren, my college roommate and our daughter's future Godmother, and I have reestablished our phone book club and we are re-reading The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver. It is neat to read it chapter by chapter and then discuss our thoughts. She is an amazing friend!

A co-worker of mine is leaving for China later this month to meet her daughter, Caitlin. I have become addicted to their blog to see their daily progression towards becoming parents. It's amazing how long you wait and then BAM! They have spent the past month since receiving their referral, running around getting prepped for the trip. How exciting!!!

Wouldn't it be great if we could fast forward our journey just like TIVO????




15 comments:

D said...

Major kewlness, definitely will look forward to the updates

Unknown said...

This is such an informative site, and I thank the two of you for taking the time and energy to write it. I've always gotten bits and pieces of your story, but, never really knew all that was involved. You are all in my prayers --- Auntie Nicole x0x0x0

Anonymous said...

Dear Mara and Randy,
I thought when we received the email with Lani's photo for the first time that nothing could be greater. Then there was the Christmas morning when they were in China and sent us a photo of Lani sleeping, and I thought this internet is unbelievable and now adding to to that this wonderfull blog. What a great gift. Thanks so much.
Mamoo

Anonymous said...

Hi Mara and Randy.,
21 months is a real bummer but both of your rememberances are touching and well written. Let's hope some how a breakthrough occurs and the 21 months becomes much less.
Loving you both,
Dad

Anonymous said...

The three of you are always in my thoughts. Having my own journey to motherhood take years and years, on a certain level I can somewhat understand what you are going through. I can only say that for myself once my dream became a reality and Ryan was finally here those years faded away and it's hard to remember the pain. I can't wait for the day you two both know that joy. Big Hug, Cynthia

Anonymous said...

Mara and Randy,

Best wishes to both of you on your journey. Great joy awaits you at the end of this journey. You are both going to be great parents. Keep us posted!
Mike

Anonymous said...

Wow! You guys are amazing. You and your little one are always in my thoughts and prayers.

Jennifer Steeprow

Music Gal said...

Mara and Randy,
I love your blog. What a wonderful start to have a perspective from each of you at the beginning. I will look forward to reading every entry as you go through the journey. I also look forward to meeting you, Randy. I know, first hand how difficult it is to see the wait time climb. But it finally did happen for us and it will for you. The longer you wait, stronger the bond. It will all happen it God's perfect timing.

Debbie (Caitlin's mommy)

Anonymous said...

Mara and Randy,

You are on an amazing journey, and we are honored to share bits of it with you. We are holding you in the Light every day during the wait. One day, though it is almost impossible to imagine it now, all of these entries will be transformed from the record of your wait into part of your daughter's history. love, Shelly

Anonymous said...

Mara,
Thank you so much for sharing this news with us, what an exciting time for you and Randy! Paul and I are very happy for you both and we'll keep track of your journey....I know you will both make such wonderful parents, you both have a special gift with children that will be a blessing to your new little one!
Love and Hugs,
Karen

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful Newsletter. I'll look forward to reading all the upcoming news. I want you both to keep busy and try to take your minds off of the wait. There is a reason for everything that happens and one of the reasons it's not time to pick up your bundle of joy may be because the perfect child for you hasn't been conceived yet. God is waiting on "just the right one" for "His two special and precious Mom and Dad". When HE thinks its time, then you both will get the call. We love you both and will continue to pray for a miracle. Love, Mom and Rich

Anonymous said...

Mara,

Thanks so much for sharing the website with me. I enjoyed reading both of your entries. I am so sad to hear that the time keeps getting longer! I am sure you both are more disappointed than me, but I can't believe that it takes so long. What an extra stressor for you when waiting. I hope you are having a good summer and the classes are going well. It has been a crazy time here so far, but hopefully it will slow down soon.

Talk to you soon and stay cool:)

Nancy

Anonymous said...

Mara and Randy,

Thank you for keeping everyone updated on the process and your thoughts and feelings throughout this time. We will always be here for you and you will always be in our thoughts and prayers. You will be wonderful parents! :)

Love,
Bethany and Andy

Anonymous said...

Oh Mara, beautiful writing from you both...I so firmly believe that He knows exactly which lucky little girl is meant to be your daughter, and He can't move the process along until it is the perfect time for her to join your family. That said, I am both
saddened at your wait time and excited for your future...

HUGE hugs to you and Randy!
Paula

Anonymous said...

The blog is awesome! Thanks for sharing. I am praying that CCAA gets caught up with the process now that the dossiers have slowed down, and that time changes.During our wait for both girls the time kept going up & down.... depending on what's going on in country. As you said, there's a master plan- so, your daughter will be perfectly planned for you.

Cathy L.